Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sunday Funday! Liberty Tree Word Search Puzzle

Last week, I asked you to tell me Where In Disney World is this?  I also asked that you include the symbolism behind this "thing".  I was very excited at some of the detail included in your responses!


The "thing" is a lantern.  The Liberty Tree is located in the center of  Magic Kingdom's Liberty Square.  The tree has 13 lanterns, each representing one of the original 13 colonies.   During the summer of 1765 in Boston the Sons of Liberty gathered under a large tree to protest the British Stamp Act. From this day forth, the tree became known as the Liberty Tree. The lanterns were hung on the tree when the Stamp Act was repealed.  The 13 lanterns on the Liberty Tree are illuminated each night at Disney World.


The original Liberty Tree is an elm tree.  The Liberty Tree is Disney World is a large Southern Oak.  It is a live tree over a hundred years old.  During the construction of Magic Kingdom, this beautiful old tree was located on Disney property and moved about 6 miles to its present location.  The tree has a plaque at it's base which reads "The Liberty Tree - Under the boughs of the original Liberty Tree in Boston in 1765, Patriot, calling themselves "The Sons of Liberty," gathered to protest the imposition of the Stamp Act.  In the years that followed, almost every American town had a Liberty Tree - a Living  Symbol Of The American Freedom of Speech and Assembly. Our Liberty Tree is a Southern Live Oak Quercus Virginiana more than 100 Years Old."

If you would like to read more, WDW for Grownups is one of the more informative sites.  It is also a great place to gather more information about the special things, like the Liberty Tree, that make Disney World so amazing.  Disney is far more than rides!

Congratulations to Melissa Layton, this week's randomly selected winner of the $10 coupon to Connie's store.  I would like to include the closing line to Melissa's entry.  "That's so awesome!!  When we go to Disney World some day I'll have to be sure to check out all this cool stuff!!"  I am very glad that I am able to share some of these "special attractions" in Disney with you!  

We had a wedding to go to today (Saturday).  While it was a beautiful wedding, I had no idea it was going to be on the golf course and the walking that would be required.  That said, I am very glad I started my post earlier today.  I had every good intention of finishing this post with with the new puzzle when we got home Saturday evening.  Needless to say, I really REALLY needed to take a pain pill and there is no way I can stay awake long enough to finish the puzzle for the week.  However, I will do it in the late morning. So if you all stop back Sunday afternoon, I'll have the new puzzle posted for you!  

***

I feel so much better after a good night's sleep!  Before I present this week's puzzle, I wanted to say how unique the wedding was. The bride arrived in a horse drawn carriage!  How awesome is that?  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.  When the groom first proposed, he hired a horse drawn carriage for the big event.  Once they were well into the woods, the carriage stopped and the couple disembarked.  He got down on one knee and proposed.  Just reminds me so much of Disney stories!  (And obviously, she said YES!)  I imagine the carriage driver took the photos of them.  I scrapped one for them to keep. 

Enough sentimental stuff!  On to this week's Word Search Puzzle, which I have named The Liberty Tree.
Since we were on the subject, I thought important words from the historical significance would make a good puzzle.  

If you would please just draw lines (rather than trying to circle) through the words, and email your completed solution to coyotelady(at)gmail(dot)com by Friday, September 19th at 9 PM Eastern.  All participants will receive a $1 coupon to Connie's Store. If you found all the words correctly, your name will be placed in a randomizer and one lucky person will win this week's $10 coupon.  And thanks for bearing with me by checking back today!!


Here are the words you are searching for this week:

AMERICAN
ASSEMBLY
BOSTON
BOUGHS
BRANCHES
DISNEYWORLD
ELMTREE
FREEDOM
GATHERING
IMPOSITION
INDEPENDENCE
JOHNNYTREMAIN
LANTERN
LIBERTYHALL
LIBERTYSQUARE
LIBERTYTREE
MAGICKINGDOM
PATRIOT
PLAQUE
PROTEST
QUERCUS
SONSOFLIBERTY
SOUTHERNOAK
SPEECH
STAMPACT
STATELY
VIRGINIA

Happy hunting!  And I'll see you all next Sunday Funday!!









No comments: